Does the commentary from non-natural hair girls sound like white people when it comes to black culture.
Why do natural hair girls have to point out they’re natural?
It’s an exclusive group.
Natural hair girls give me dirty looks.
Sounds quite similar to
Why do black people need to have their own network/group on campus?
I don’t fit in with them.
Black people don’t like me because I’m white.
And I give the same response: Get. Over. Yourself.
Society is in favor of you and once we (the ones who find the inner strength to go against society) try to get something going for ourselves you want to take that too and cry out for community and world peace. Where’s the community when barely any natural-haired black womyn are on televsion or in videos? Where’s the world peace when natural-haired womyn are strongly advised to get perms or wigs to hide their “naps?” Where was your inclusion then? Why are you demoralizing a positive movement? Apparently, we just can’t have our moment—especially not proudly or in public.
So if I want to walk up to a natural hair person and tell them “Yay natural hair! You better werk,” and I just smile politely at your chemically straightened hair then let me be. Because you don’t need me to tell you it looks good, society’s telling you that everyday damn day. But naturals—we’re going to need every little support just to combat the social bullshit that’s been harassing us for centuries.
I like this post and I understand said frustration, because I felt the same way too. I remember saying “Why is it that fifteen million nine hundred thirty eight thousand five hundred and six people can say ‘girl! you need a touch up’ but if one person says to another natural person ‘i love your natural hair!’ there’s an uproar?”
But I think what’s going on is this:
People don’t want to feel attacked. I think solidarity needs to happen between Black people. Period.
And I do know it is difficult to walk around with natural hair (the stares the touching—oh my god—the touching of hair!) so the solidarity amongst people with natural hair, I think, is important. I love to compliment someone with a beautiful natural hairstyle, because I think that’s necessary. However, however, I think we can do that without putting down those with relaxers. (I say this as a person who actually hates chemical relaxers—not because of the straight hair it creates—but because it is a product that is filled with carcinogens and is targeted to Black women specifically. That makes me wary. Very wary.) And I think we can compliment someone with a relaxer, too. Why not?
Black people are told we’re ugly in so many ways, but we know this isnt true, so why not uplift each other, regardless of how we choose to wear our hair.
I think that’s something else we need to address too. People do have choices—and that includes Black people.
I think Black folk with relaxers dont want to be put down. And that makes sense.
I don’t think Black folk with relaxers are asking us to shut up about our hair, although some folk may want that, I think they just don’t want to be shunned.
and as someone who is pro solidarity, I hear them on that.
agree with the bolded
- I hate motorcyclist because (some) park in parking spots causing the illusion of an empty spot
- I hate smart cars again they cause the illusion of an empty spot
- I hate that person that always rides up my ass so they can take the spot you missed
- I hate the people that ride up on my ass when I’m clearly trying to back into a spot
- I hate when people leave shopping carts in a spot when the lot is packed
- Damn you person that ran out the car to stand in spot
- Fuck you parking meters
- Fuck you street sweeping schedule (No parking Thursdays on the left side No parking Fridays on the right side)
- That person that tried to G you out of a spot……I will jump out the car and handle you
- Fuck you lady that hit my car while I was sitting in it
- Fuck you anxious ass fucks that made it hard for me to pull out my spot because you left me no room to get out
- Fuck you alcoholics that broke 2 beer bottles in the only available spot
- Fuck you took up two spots
- Fuck you people that can’t park straight
- Fuck the jackasses in on coming traffic that speed past your car while you’re trying to get out of it